|Pitch Black II|
The official logo and label art for Mountain Dew Pitch Black II.
|Flavor:||Sour Black Grape|
|Current Status:||Seasonal (Discontinued)|
|Locations Available:||United States|
|Related Flavors:||Pitch Black|
Kickstart (Midnight Grape)
|Similar Flavors:||N/A (No similar flavors to match with)|
|Related Promotions:||N/A (No related promotions to match with)|
Pitch Black II was a Mountain Dew flavor first released in the Halloween of October 2005 for a limited time in the United States. It was the sequel to 2004's black grape-flavored Pitch Black. Its tagline was "A blast of grape flavor with a sour bite with other natural flavors."
Pitch Black II used the exact same dark purple, grape-flavored formula as the original Pitch Black, but with a "sour bite" added. Many describe it as tasting like candy, adding to its Halloween theme.
After the success of Pitch Black's initial release in 2004, PepsiCo decided to bring it back with a slight flavor alteration as well as a new name. This new product would be known as Pitch Black II and made its way to shelves in the Halloween season of 2005. During its 2005 run, the flavor proved to show little success compared to the original.
As of July 2020, there are no plans to bring back Pitch Black II.
- Pitch Black II was one of six grape Mountain Dew flavors. (See "Related Flavors" in the infobox above).
- Pitch Black II was the only sequel to a soda that Mountain Dew has ever made.
- The Creature From The Black Lagoon or "Gillman" was somewhat of a mascot for Pitch Black & Pitch Black II as it appeared in a number of advert pieces holding the soda.
- This flavor was the second Halloween themed flavor, the first being Pitch Black, and the third being VooDEW.
- Pitch Black II was promoted during the 2005 NASCAR Nextel Cup Series Banquet 400 Presented by ConAgra Foods race at Kansas Speedway.