|Pitch Black II|
The official logo for Mountain Dew Pitch Black II.
|Flavor:||Sour Black Grape|
|Current Status:||Seasonal (Discontinued)|
|Locations Available:||United States|
|Related Flavors:||Pitch Black|
Kickstart (Midnight Grape)
|Similar Flavors:||N/A (No similar flavors to match with)|
|Related Promotions:||N/A (No related promotions to match with)|
Pitch Black II was a Mountain Dew flavor first released in the Halloween season of 2005 for a limited time in the United States. It was a sequel to 2004's black grape-flavored Pitch Black. Its tagline was "A blast of grape flavor with a sour bite with other natural flavors."
Pitch Black II used the same dark purple, grape-flavored formula as the original Pitch Black, but with a "sour bite" added. Many describe it as tasting like candy, adding to its Halloween theme.
After the success of Pitch Black's initial release in 2004, PepsiCo decided to bring it back with a slight flavor alteration as well as a new name. This new product would be known as Pitch Black II, and made its way to shelves in the Halloween season of 2005. During its 2005 run, the flavor was somewhat less successful than the original.
- Pitch Black II was one of six grape Mountain Dew flavors. (See "Related Flavors" in the infobox).
- The Creature From The Black Lagoon or "Gillman" was somewhat of a mascot for Pitch Black & Pitch Black II as it appeared in a number of advert pieces holding the soda.
- This flavor is the second Halloween-themed flavor to release, the first being Pitch Black, the second being Pitch Black II, the third being VooDEW (2019), the fourth being VooDEW (2020), and the fifth being VooDEW (2021).
- Pitch Black II was promoted during the 2005 NASCAR Nextel Cup Series Banquet 400 Presented by ConAgra Foods race at Kansas Speedway.
- Both Pitch Black II and VooDEW (2020) share similarities in branded to their precursors and are similar in the style of packaging and art style of their precursors.