Mountain Dew Ice is a Mountain Dew flavor first released in January 2018. It was clear in color, and had a crisp lemon-lime flavor, with a splash of real juice. Despite heavy promotions, Ice performed poorly in the US, and was discontinued in 2020, although it still currently remains available in Taiwan, the Philippines and India.
In the United States, Taiwan and the Philippines, Mountain Dew Ice was clear in color. Its flavor was lemon-lime, most comparable to Sprite or Sierra Mist, and had a splash of real juice. The drink was low-calorie, only containing 100 calories per 12 oz. can, and was the only caffeinated lemon-lime soda on the market.
In India, however, Ice appears to be White in color (as can be seen in a promotional ad), similar to White Out, Gingerbread Snap’d, and the VooDEW series, and is lemon flavored, similar to its American counterpart and White Out.
Mountain Dew Ice was first seen on a YouTube video that was posted by myCountyMarket on September 8th, 2017, as seen in the background on one of the shelves on one of their product reviews. A few weeks later, myCountyMarket posted a soda review about the flavor on their video on YouTube. The channel's video revealed that it would be released around sometime in early 2018. The channel's video also revealed that Mountain Dew Ice was planned to be promoted during Super Bowl LII.
- Main article: Mountain Dew Ice Vs. Doritos Blaze
Ice was officially released in the United States on or around January 15th, 2018 in various package sizes. A few weeks later, it was promoted in a commercial during Super Bowl LII, featuring celebrities Peter Dinklage and Morgan Freeman lip-syncing (to Busta Rhymes and Missy Elliot, respectively) in a rap battle as a cross-promotion between Ice and the then-newly released Doritos Blaze.
On March 2nd, 2020, on Twitter, the official Mountain Dew account confirmed that Mountain Dew Ice was discontinued in the United States. Around the time of the drink's discontinuation, rumors were spread throughout the Mountain Dew community that it would return to shelves with a rebranding, as well as a reformulated flavor. However, a Pepsi employee later revealed that the relaunch was cancelled.
Circle K release
In 2019, it was reported that Ice had arrived at select Circle K convenience store locations as a fountain drink. However, after the launch of Mountain Dew Zero Sugar, Mountain Dew Ice was replaced by Zero Sugar in most locations.
On January 22nd, 2018, on Facebook, the official Mountain Dew Canada account announced that Mountain Dew Ice would be joining the lineup as a permanent flavor. In the coming months, it was quietly discontinued.
Mountain Dew Ice was released in Taiwan around sometime in early to mid 2020, and was available in 500 ml bottles. Not much is known about this release.
In October 2019 a trademark was registered to launch Mountain Dew ICE in the Philippines. In June 2020, ICE was released in the Philippines, available in 300mL and 600mL bottles. This release used label art similar to its Taiwanese counterpart.
In February 2021, it was announced that Mountain Dew Ice launched in India as a clear, lemon flavored soda.
- Mountain Dew Ice was featured in the YouTube channel myCountyMarket along with many Mountain Dew flavors.
- Avery Heaney TV is a YouTuber that had found Holiday Brew and Mountain Dew Ice prior to their official releases in his videos.
- In the pre-release state of Mountain Dew Ice, there were various minor changes made to the container; the type was changed from a Sidekick bottle to a dome-like design used in other Pepsi products, and the label design was changed.
- Mountain Dew Ice is the second clear soda that has been produced in the Mountain Dew lineup, the first being Dewshine, and the third being Mountain Dew Ice (Cherry).
- Canada, The Philippines, and India were the only other countries internationally where Mountain Dew Ice got launched.